There are a few classic hairstyles we can go to when we need a great look in a hurry and the Top Knot is near the top of that list. It is the ideal style for any occasion since it can easily be paired with a dressed up or casual ensemble for the perfect look. Jenny Balding, NYC Cutler/Redken Stylist, shares how to achieve this fabulous look:
- For best results, start with day two hair onwards as your hair will be easier to manage with an already ‘lived -in’ texture.
- Mist hair with dry shampoo, focusing primarily on the roots mainly – this will give your hair more texture, grip and volume.
- Then mist a light hairspray throughout for some hold and grip.
- Sweep your hair into high ponytail. Keep checking what it looks like from your profile so you position ponytail in the most flattering point of your head for your face shape.
- Take the ponytail and back-brush from the underneath lightly – this creates a slight disheveled texture.
- Sweep around the base of the ponytail and pin using U shaped hairpins. These really anchor the hair best which means you will only need 2 or 3 to secure.
- This creates perfectly disheveled topknot that looks ultra stylish and works for any event.
About Jenny Balding: Jenny is a Senior Stylist at New York City’s Cutler Salon and specializes in cutting and styling women and men of all hair lengths, textures, colors, and special occasions. Her personal mission is to help each client find the cut and style that works best for them and their lifestyle, not just the hottest trend, and she achieves this by working with the hair’s natural texture to create maximum versatility and fluidity. Jenny also lives the salon’s motto “bringing runway to reality” as she consistently leads shows each season during New York Fashion Week including Paola Hernández & 5:31 Jérôme. Her work backstage has also been seen on the runways of Marc Jacobs, Cynthia Rowley, Betsey Johnson, Proenza Schouler, Badgley Mischka and Carmen Marc Valvo. With inspiration from Fashion Week around the world, Jenny translates the season’s hottest trends into wearable, achievable, must-have styles for her clients.